Little Food Festival Melbourne
Young foodies rejoice, the Little Food Festival returns in a big way at Fed Square these school holidays in Melbourne!
Little Food Festival, Fed Square, Melbourne
These school holidays in Melbourne The Little Food Festival brings together a stellar cast of food enthusiasts, producers, creatives and experts to inspire the next generation.
Aimed to connect the dots for kids between our food, its supply chain and its relationship to the health of our bodies and planet, the Little Food Festival brings a jam-packed program of workshops, performances and demonstrations to the heart of the city that will make food fun!
For two days, Fed Square will be the destination for family-friendly foodie activity within The Farm, The Hub, The Grocer, The Table and The Compost, with each activation zone dedicated to an element of the food system; production, distribution, retail, consumption and waste.
There will be well-known foodies taking to Fed Square’s main stage to demonstrate fun and easy ways to celebrate food, while kids will be encouraged to scribble down their rambles, big ideas or drawings about the future of food on giant colouring poles.
Melbourne Farmers Markets’ stallholders will be there with produce stalls, and local food vans will satisfy hungry bellies with tasty, fresh and diverse dishes throughout the day.
Little Food Festival Program
This program will be repeated each day.
- 10am: Welcome to Country and smoking ceremony (Day 1 only)
- 10am: Acknowledgement of Country and performance by Djirri Djirri Dance Group (Day 2 only)
- 11am: Cooking demonstration by primary school students who participated in OzHarvest FEAST
- 12pm: Junkyard Beats turns ordinary kitchen utensils into musical instruments
- 1pm: Amie Harper, nutritionist, food scientist and author sharing her lunchbox tips and hacks!
- 2pm: Unwind with a special food-themed yoga class for the whole family
- 2:45pm: Winner announced of sumptuous food experience at renowned Point Leo Estate on Mornington Peninsula (all attendees who complete a survey at the ‘Kids for change’ station will go into lucky draw to win the $200 dining voucher)
- 3pm: Families can kick-back for a free film on Fed Square’s big screen as the festival wraps up
- Learn how to plant your own seedling with Bunnings to take home with you
- Meet the team from the United African Farm and learn more about traditional African produce
- In the game Food Miles, planned by teachers from Monash University, explore how far food has travelled to reach our plates
- Get a photo in front of the iconic yellow food rescue van, and meet a food rescue hero from OzHarvest
- Test your memory in a game featuring up-sized “ugly” but delicious produce
- Get a photo with the team at Vic Kids Eat Well and learn about their mission to boost delicious and healthy food and drink options in places where kids learn, live and play
- Renowned Melbourne artist Beci Orpin teams up with homewares and bedding company, Kip&Co, to lead a colourful, food-related craft workshop enabling kids to express their food culture and stories
- Join the team from Stephanie Alexander Kitchen Garden Foundation to make your own tasty rice paper rolls, ready to eat – harvest your own herbs from “The Farm” first and get rolling
- Use science to make food last longer and reduce unnecessary waste as part of the Monash University STEM Leftovers Lab
- Test your speed and recycling know-how with Veolia’s recycling relay race
Little Food Library
- A chill out zone for kids to choose books about food, sustainability, health and community and have fun. Special Storytimes at 11.30am, 12.30pm and 1,30pm
Little Food Market
- Taste and take home locally farmed delights and produce from a range of impressive market stalls, thanks to Melbourne Farmers Markets.
Little Foodie Festival
Wednesday 20th April &Thursday 21st April 2022, 10am-3pm
Fed Square, Melbourne
Entry is free and gates open from.
Family Fun in Melbourne
Check out out our SCHOOL HOLIDAY ACTIVITIES post for more family fun. Follow Mum’s Little Explorers on Facebook and Instagram to stay updated!